It doesn't matter how old we are; mental acuity is something we all want to have for as long as possible.
Scientists are constantly researching and trying to figure out how we can keep our brain in great shape.
Here are 7 things you can to make sure that you mind remains as sharp as ever. You'll want to incorporate these strategies in your daily life.
1. Exercise regularly – Scientific studies continue to confirm the direct relationship between regular physical exercise and mental acuity. In fact, if you make it a habit to engage in aerobic activities for 30 minutes every day, your brain will benefit from it.
Exercising is something you can do regardless of age, so even if you've never been an active person most of your life, it's never too late to become active now.
2. Eat better – What you eat does affect brain health, so you'll need to make better, healthier choices when it comes to your diet.
Go with a diet that has moderate amounts of fat and protein and high in fiber. Take the time to prepare healthy meals at home instead of dining out or ordering to-go at fast food places.
3. Whole foods are great for your brain – Supplements are good, but as much as possible, you'll want to get your vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients from whole food sources, not from tablets or capsules. The best way to get the essential nutrients you body needs is to eat healthy foods.
4. Know that many diseases are preventable – Did you know that hypertension, diabetes, and obesity are totally preventable? These health conditions can have an adverse effect on your brain health, so you'll want to do everything you can to lower your risk of developing these conditions.
Start with your diet and exercise.
5. Get quality sleep – According to scientists, chronic sleep problems contribute to cognitive decline. Some people think it’s an accomplishment to go days without sleeping. It’s not, and by the time they realize it’ll be too late. Or they won’t realize it at all due to intellectual regression, which is even worse.
If you want your mind to stay sharp, you should be getting at least 7 hours of quality sleep every night.
Contrary to what you may have heard, there is no such thing as catching up on lost sleep, at least in ways that impact your brain positively. So be consistent in going to sleep every night. Set a specific time for when you have to be in bed and sleep. You'll be rewarded with a sharper brain.
6. Learn to manage your stress – Believe it or not, your brain functions so much better when you're relaxed. Stress can affect your mental focus.
If you're constantly under stress, you need to find a way to minimize your stress. Exercise regularly, do something that relaxes you, or give yourself a long, hot soak in the tub. Your mind will be clearer when you're not stressed.
7. Learn new things – Just as your body needs regular exercise to keep your bones and muscle strong and healthy, your mind needs mental exercise to keep it sharp.
Challenge your brain. Make it a goal to learn one new thing every day, no matter how simple that is. You can also tackle bigger learning challenges, such as signing up for a photography class. If you've always feared math, find an accounting course for adults at a local community college. I even took a free short course online. You might end up enjoying numbers.
You can keep your mind sharp by learning new things.
Try all these strategies and notice the improvement in your mental acuity within a short time. The great thing about these strategies is that you can start using them right now.
Do you do anything to keep you mind sharpurse online. , puzzles or other games? Are you concerned about your mental health?
Sign up below for The Key newsletter now and pave your path to happiness. Don't waste another moment!
You'll get the Redesign Your Life eBook for free and other great resources first!
We respect your privacy.