Anytime you meet someone for the first time you want to leave them with a good impression. Even if you’re not sure of whom they are and what your relationship with them down the road will be, you’ll want to leave a positive impact.
This allows you to go back to them and develop something further if you so desire. Because once someone has their own idea of you in their mind it will be hard to get thru to them to change it. So do yourself a favor and leave the door open in case you decide to walk thru it again.
Follow these steps to make a good and memorable first impression:
1. A pleasing appearance – Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you should still look your best from head to toe. Keep in mind that when you look good you feel good and will project that when meeting someone. Maintaining a delightful appearance is simple, clean clothing, styled hair and a light scent. Don’t worry about spending a fortune.
2. Make eye contact and smile – In American culture making good eye contact creates positive connections and shows people that you are interested. Avoiding eye contact will give off a sense that you are detached from the situation and may even be hiding something.
Also, a smile looks good on you as well and is inviting. When you smile in a neutral and relaxed way others perceive you as friendly and open.
3. Pay attention and listen – When you’re out in public or socializing at a party with new people it’s easy to get distracted. But when you’re meeting someone new make an extra effort to pay attention and focus on the conversation. Active listening demonstrates genuine interest in the person and what they are saying.
4. Use their name – In most situations, it’s beneficial to you to be viewed as focused, a good listener and polite. Using the new person’s name in your conversation helps accomplish all of these things. Plus, using their name will help you remember it later.
5. Initiate conversation with a positive comment – Making a positive impression means that people will have good thoughts when they remember you by something you said or did. Relating the comment to something about them also helps and ties into the previous steps. For instance, you can reference their work or accomplishments and then further inquiring about them.
6. Be genuine – Be yourself whenever you meet someone new. People tend to sense when others are putting up a front or behaving in ways that aren’t natural for them. Being honest is a quality that is attractive to everyone.
Because you never know what might blossom between you and a new acquaintance, out in the effort to make a positive first impression. Try the steps mentioned above or think about techniques that may have worked for you in the past. You’ll make a great first impression and perhaps even pave the way for a successful relationship, in any form, down the road.